With great power, comes great responsibility. By becoming a member, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
Welcome to Make Nashville’s Membership Agreement/Terms and Conditions
Hi, we’re Make Nashville! We are happy to have you here and look forward to learning stuff and building things with you in the future. The following policies and conditions to being a member are not in anyway meant to stifle creativity or diminish anyone’s right to enjoy the space. Quite the opposite actually, by setting up clear guidelines and rules we hope to ensure that everyone gets to fully enjoy all that Make Nashville has to offer.
- In order to have access to a Shop area and utilize our tools or equipment you must first meet with a Make Nashville Shop Captain and/or Safety Instructor. You must also sign our liability waiver and complete the required training courses in both safety and procedures.
- During this COVID-19 outbreak, please register and use the appropriate Calendar to reserve your space and time in the Shop or Studio where you wish to work. Spaces for Makers are limited according to the area of the shop in question so please check availability and reserve in advance.
- If at any time you discover that a tool, machine or piece of equipment is not functioning properly, stop using the malfunctioning item immediately and contact the Shop Captain or a Board member. Contact information will be posted in various locations throughout the Makerspace and on this website.
- When leaving an area that you have been working in you must return it to the same or better condition than when you started working there. You are responsible for cleaning up after yourself each and every time you utilize an area. Please don’t leave a mess for others to clean up!
- Membership and access are not guaranteed. Make Nashville reserves the right to deny access or terminate memberships at its discretion.
- Equipment, tools, classroom space and other areas of the Makerspace may be reserved from time to time so that classes or workshops can be held. Please check the Calendar to ensure that the equipment you hope to use isn’t reserved for another activity. Reservations for these events will be posted a minimum of 1 week in advance.
The Shop Specific Rules
- Appropriate Personal Protective Equipment should be worn at all times while in the shop area regardless of whether it is you working on the machinery or not. (PPE- goggles, earplugs, gloves, aprons, etc. may be available in the warehouse for borrowing.) During COVID-19, masks must be worn and social distancing observed at all times within the Makerspace.
- No one may use any workshop equipment without being authorized to do so.
- Be careful not to start a conversation with someone that is using a piece of machinery — always wait for them to stop and get their attention visually, not physically or verbally.
- If someone is concentrating on a task, be considerate — wait until they have paused before you interrupt to ask for help or chat.
- Never touch or bump anyone that is using a piece of machinery.
- No pets allowed in any of the shop areas.
- Keep noise levels to a minimum.
- No wet or green wood materials are to be run through any of the Wood Shop machines.
- No clay other than Cone 6 clay may be used in the Ceramics Studio.
- Replacement costs and/or repairs due to neglect by breaking any of these rules will be the responsibility of the individual who caused the damage.
- Do not attempt to oil, clean adjust or repair any machine while it is running. Do not attempt to perform any of these tasks unless you are properly trained and authorized to do so.
- Never disable safety devices on machines.
- Never leave a machine running unattended.
- It is your duty to inform the Shop Captain (or designee) or an authorized representative of the Board about any equipment that has had its safety features disabled or damaged.
- Always keep hands, hair, feet and clothing clear of all moving machinery. Loose fitting clothing such as baggy sweatshirts, ties or long sleeved shirts with open cuffs are not allowed within 10 feet of any running machine.
- Always de-burr sharp edges of freshly cut stock. This includes any piece of stock that is going into the rack. This will help eliminate personal injury from sharp jagged edges.
- Always work at a pace that you are comfortable with since rushing can lead to mistakes and injuries.
- Listen to your machine and if something doesn’t sound right or you are unsure whether it is operating correctly or not, shut it down and contact the Shop Captain, or other qualified person, for assistance.
- Keep all floors clean of dirt, sawdust, oil, grease or other debris. In the event of a spill, stop all work in that area until is has been safely cleaned up.
- All hazardous materials need written permission to be brought in and used at the Makerspace. A list of pre-approved hazardous materials will be posted in the shop or warehouse area.
- Please stop all work with enough time to clean up any area you have been working in and to leave the shop in the same or better condition than before you arrived.
Electronics, Computing and Network
You agree that when using any device or network connection owned by Make Nashville you will not:
- Use the services in connection with contests, pyramid schemes, chain letters, sending spam, or sending/posting unsolicited messages of any kind.
- Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal and civil rights of others.
- Publish, post, upload, distribute or disseminate any inappropriate, profane, defamatory, obscene, indecent or unlawful material or information.
- Upload, or otherwise make available, files that contain images, photographs, software or other material protected by intellectual property laws, including, but not limited to copyright or trademark laws unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consent to do the same.
- Upload files that contain viruses, Trojan Horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, corrupted files, or any similar software or programs that may damage the operation of any computer or property of another person or entity.
- Download any file(s) that you know, or can reasonably foresee, may not be legally reproduced, displayed, performed, and/or distributed in such manner.
- Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Services.
- Violate any Code of Conduct or other guideline that may be applicable for any particular Service.
- Harvest or otherwise collect information about other persons or entities, including email addresses, without the authorization or consent of the pertinent party or parties.
- Violate any applicable local, state or federal laws or regulations, especially by creating a false identity for the purpose of misleading others.
Personal Tools, Equipment and Materials
- Personal use tools and materials may be brought into the Makerspace, however, personal tools must be checked by shop staff to ensure they don’t violate any safety rules.
- All personal tools, materials and work-in-progress must be clearly labeled with your name and email address, phone number or other contact information.
- In the case of projects and works-in-progress left on storage shelves or tables, labeling must also contain the last date of use. Any item in this category that is left untouched in the Makerspace for 30 days or more is subject to being claimed by Make Nashville and disposed of at MN’s discretion.
- Personal use tools, equipment or materials that are appropriately labeled may not be used by any other member without the express permission of the owner. Conversely, items lacking a label may be used, but not taken away, by others, or claimed by Make Nashville.
- Any and all personal-use tools and materials must leave the Makerspace with the owner, unless otherwise permitted or secured in a private storage location. Members are entitled to keep one large, labeled tub in the storage area for securing personal items.
- Make Nashville is not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen personal-use tools, equipment or materials.
*These terms are subject to modification at anytime and without prior notice.